Sister Pile Up!
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Projects
Why is it that anything you plan always blows up bigger than expected? This past week while my man was in Florida, I had planned to paint the walls and trim in the living/Dining Room so that we would be closer to get ready to take out the carpet and put in laminate flooring. Well, the painting evolved into painting the walls and the ceiling, and the crease between walls and ceiling. It was a big space, (much bigger when you strip everything off the walls) And the spackling was a big job too, it took two days! So now I have three sides and the whole ceiling painted. Why not the fourth? No room. I had to move so much furniture around to get to the walls there was no room to move the hutch away from the wall. So that is still to be done. Also I now need to paint the ceiling in the kitchen, and entry way quickly. Why quickly, cause my man decided when he came home at 9:30 am Saturday that we should start on the flooring. So I ripped up carpet, painted floor trim, and pulled up staples while he bought me a new toy! I got a 10" sliding compound miter saw. It is now blowing dust all over my living room walls. But I have had a great time playing with it. He also got 22 boxes of flooring planks. (not enough, but a good start.) We read the directions and were crushed to realize we have to put the planks down perpendicular to the floor joists. SO that means we would only be able to go a little ways before we would need the front entry way cleared out. A great deal of time was spent ripping up 30 years of linoleum and sub floors. (previous occupants were very staple happy) 2 sub floors and 3 types of linoleum.. I was told to go start on the planks. The children rotated helping pull up flooring and playing with Holly down stairs. We presently have very beautiful bare plywood in most of the entry way almost to the kitchen. I had to kick my destructo boy scouts off the project at 11:45 pm and sent them to the showers. They were having a good time and at least this project the destruction was warranted. (Earlier that day Bruce was supposed to trim the Azalea hedge and managed to cut through the power cord...) So today everyone is nursing sore hands and some blisters. The couch was on the dining room table yesterday so dinner was held downstairs. We still have tons of the staple happy linoleum to rip up and ceiling to paint and my man is off again to warm climates, enjoying Mexican food! It should look really great when we get done, and at least I have great kids to help with the mess!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a great new toy! You can make compound cut picture frames with it ... and furniture if you really get carried away !!!
Yikes! We just got home from vacation and I'm not ready to think about all the work that needs to be done on this house. It's seems like the work is always twice what you think because of the great ideas the previous owners had. At least you have a fantastic attitude and lots of help!
oh my gosh!!! that would drive me crazy and i don't have a downstairs to keep the kids out of the way but i sympathize greatly since we need to paint our ceilings and I still have to finish painting the little kids room and maybe paint the den and school room. toby still has the dining room and kitchen to lay laminate in. i have no clue and would prob. do it wrong. so good on you girl for doing all that!
Isn't that so true how projects just get bigger and bigger!! I feel your pain. How wonderful that you have children to help! New tools are always fun though!! The end result will make it all worthwhile.
AMEN! Like the brush clearing in "Parker Woods" now we see the fence that has GOT to be replaced. Really. We look out back and see a fence that would qualify for a movie about the depression era.
And I STILL haven't finished painting the "limbo" area that goes from the kitchen (painted) to the downstairs hall(badly needing painting). Be glad you're still young enough to have the energy! I get tired just looking at what needs to be done. KUDOS to you for all your hard work and I am JEALOUS of your miter saw!
Post a Comment