Sister Pile Up!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

shock treatment

The kids middle school principal sent out a letter about their "Honors Award Night". On it she classified herself as Principal/ Virginia School Turnaround Specialist. I had dismissed that as not important. I had a different view last night. They had all the B, A/B,and A Honor Roll kids at the event. At the end, they had the 4 kids in the entire school who had gotten ALL A's all year up on stage. Previous years the school has given these students a $25.00 savings bond. This year the Principal and Staff, and as she said "The Community" gave a Toshiba Laptop to each of these 4 students. They were totally shocked! It will get around school Very Fast today. The school is not in the wealthy part of town. Far from it. Two doors down is where the immigrant day workers stand to look for employment. You have to know it will get the attention of those who didn't bother, or really care. It sure made my daughter's b+ in French last period very painful. I haven't agreed with her much but I have to say THAT will have an impact.

2 comments:

wilkinson family said...

wow, that would make sit up and take notice too! i think it's a great idea

FoxFamily said...

that sure beats the $25 savings bond (although that's not a bad prize). Laptops are cool. Good for them!