Sister Pile Up!
Monday, May 19, 2008
My Part in the economy!
Hey, did you know I am doing my part to pump money back into the economy? The other day I decided that I was going to change the old electrical plugs in my kitchen, dining room, and living room. I am totally fine with just switching plugs, I plug in the vacuum, and hit the breaker switches that turn off the vacuum. I then just do a straight swap matching the new plug with the old plug spots and make them look the same. Tah dah! Well, it mostly works...I ran into a problem when I was trying to put a GFI in the kitchen by the sink. According to code you are suppose to have one of these things near a water source. So I bought one, and attempted the usual routine. This did not work. the GFI plug is NOT the same!You have to know which one is bringing the power into the box and which one is carrying it out. This plug had 6 wires coming in. and a switch to run my Garbage disposal. I ran up and down the stairs turning on and off the breaker to check my wiring. I finally got the electric plug to work, but not the Garbage disposal. SO I went back and decided to just put the old one back. Well, even that didn't work! With the old one back on. I had a garbage disposal that only ran when the microwave was running. Then the microwave only ran at half power while the GD. was on. Not good. I realized I was in over my head. My husband usually prefers I fix my own mistakes, so I quickly found the number for the local electrician. I called and they were happy to help me out! the receptionist even made me feel much better. She told me it isn't as bad a as the man that called and said he had tried it himself and set everything on fire! The next morning a electrician appeared at nine fifteen. He was here 1/2 hour. (I paid for the hour anyway, plus the house call) He managed to put two new GFI's in by the sink, since I had bought one, he just stuck it in on the opposite side for me, to make me happy, and he created a new box and switch all by itself for the Garbage disposal! He was happy to have some hours, and I was happy to have the GFI's put in and the microwave and disposal working well again! So yeah for electrician's! and yeah for pumping money back into the economy. Today, I may call the driveway sealers....who knows, I am just taking this to heart !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah, for you to try doing it yourself! I actually need to update my plugs in the kitchen and bath and I was going to attempt it myself. I'm thinking better of it now though!
good for you on changing out the plugs and knowing when to call a professional. lol sorry that you had to call one.
You should've called Eddie!!! Of course, if he had given you instructions, he might have burned down the place!!!
He's learning the electrician trade at the moment!!! He comes in very handy!!! He's good with cars too!!!! Sheila made him an apron that says, "When it's experience you need...ask Eddie"
Post a Comment