Sister Pile Up!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Got trouble, right here in River City!

Well, I try to be supportive of School teachers and administrators, but there are times you have to comment. I finally wrote a note to the new principal for the middle school today. I was complaining about her "Graduation" plans. She wants the "Seniors" which are really eighth graders to have a big formal cap and gown commencement, and a "Senior" week, and a "Senior Gala or Prom". I have an issue with that, aside from the 70 dollars. I think it is just to fancy - too much for an eighth grade ceremony. Before the school has just had it in the gym and everyone was allowed to come, not just 4 per family. The kids dressed up in their "church clothes" and they would walk across the stage. It was fine. Now the kids are giving my son grief about who he is taking to the prom, when he says that he isn't allowed to date, it doesn't matter to them. They still say he needs a date, the principal says that isn't so, but the name has a stigma attached, and an expected action. The feedback I have from the kids is that it isn't their doing, and some actually have thought of boycotting, or sending a petition around to change the plans. The principal has heard nothing about this, but then she wasn't really listening to me either and kept telling me the kids were all behind the ideas. I suggested she listen to the kids, not just those who have sent in the money. I mentioned that her "senior committee" felt as if she blew off their ideas, and just went with what she wanted. She was shocked, when she stopped talking.... She says that none of the kids are talking college, and she is just trying to pump them up for high school, so they will keep trying. I told her that it seemed more of a completion and almost as if they could be done now. I ended the call not having won anything, except with the hope that she might actually try to listen to the kids......

3 comments:

Freth Stifter said...

Take it up with the PTO ... and write a letter to the editor of the local paper.

Whole hog, you could mail a letter to every parent, along with the school board ... and anyone else whose arm you can twist.

- Bro. :-p

FoxFamily said...

I would write a letter to the superintendent. It's a cop out that they make a big production out of what should be a promotion as before and not the culminating life experience. There are enough hugh school dropouts as it is. I think this would encourage more. Plus, $70 is a lot!!

wilkinson family said...

i think it's all a bunch of crock. why is there an 8th grade graduation? who cares about graduations from middle school other than now they go to high school. i think there should only be graduation for high school. in Enterprise you don't have a graduation from middle school, you might have an end of year sock hop but definately no prom!! prom for 8th grade is even worse than a graduation where they limit your family members.
i say get a hold of like minded parents and boycott, bu that's my 2cents worth.