Sister Pile Up!

Sunday, November 2, 2008

This weekend's disaster

Last week when my big sister called to check on me and my "New House" I had to hang up rather quickly due to that fact my kitchen was flooding. Come to find out we had a Reverse osmosis System that decided that if anyone turned it on it was going to leak water out the bottom tubes under the sink. I tried to turn it off, I tried to tighten the nut that was spraying water all over, I was unsuccessful! I tried turning off the cold water at the floor, so it wouldn't come into the tubes. Then I pushed the lever till no more water came out of the faucet. I figured I was safe and tried to disconnect the tube that was attached to a big blue tube. I got drenched! I quickly reattached the tube! Many towels were moistened in cleaning up this action...
I proceeded to try the other side of the tank, thinking one side had to be drained... NOPE! Many more towels were drenched by this act. At this point I had two disconnected tubes that weren't actively spraying water, I stuck them in a bucket left the cold water off and searched desperately in the phone book for the plumber the realtor had used... This was Thursday last week...He was busy He would try on Friday, if not Friday then Monday... We spent the weekend with out cold water in the kitchen sink. On Monday I called twice to make sure I was still on his schedule for the day.. Meanwhile the bucket under the sink would slowly fill up and I would empty it before it overflowed... Monday Afternoon the plumber arrived. I waited desperately for him because the locksmith said he was honest. He admitted he was one of 2 honest plumbers in town, (but didn't tell me the other's name.) There are like 5 plumbers in town.(Town being a twenty-5 mile radius) He did the same things I did, and I ran for the towels as he started to disconnect the tube at the tank.... Sure enough he got soaked as did the floor. I handed him the towels and he kindly cleaned up the water. I had warned him... He said it had been highly unexpected.. He was sure he had drained the tubes, yep me too! The tank he disconnected still drained water at a very high pressure for another 20 seconds. Gratefully it was tipped upside down in the sink at the time. He took out the system which was STILL leaking and we trashed it!

This weekend My stove decided it wanted to get in on the action. We had spent the morning cooking breakfast for the gang, as My man was heating up the maple syrup in the microwave over the stove it blew a fuse. I was cooking pancakes on the griddle across the room but I still had power. He went downstairs and flipped the circuit breaker back on. That was when the Range started sparking all the time! It is a gas range with an electric ignition. So the 4 burners were all constantly sparking. It makes a loud clicking sound like every other second. This was of course after My man had just finished inviting his brother's family to come over for dinner that evening. we flipped it on and off, we UN plugged it and then plugged it back in. luckily the burners all still work, and the stove is fine, but as long as the stove is plugged in it sparks all the time. Rachael after a few hours declared she had found her new metronome for piano pieces...I called Sears Repair, they have really annoying voices on the recordings... They could send someone next Thursday to look at it... Then I worked my way down the 4 numbers in the phone book. One didn't answer, one said he would look at it on Monday, and one said he would be there in a Half Hour! YEAH! He came saw and concluded that the sparking module had to be replaced and possibly the 4 on off switches which could possibly blow while replacing the switch.... He called later with a price, it would be about $380.00 to repair. The sparking thing makes the kitchen really hot so that evening I decided to just unplug the stove for now till I need it. I have done some research on line about Stoves. I can't decide between a smooth top Electric range or a Gas Stove with the burner control knobs on the top of the stove. Both have to be self cleaning. After nine years without it, I refuse to buy a standard clean model. The top control on the gas is a safety issue, my 20 month old daughter could turn on the front knobs and gas us out of the house with out me knowing otherwise. The cost is very different but I can't decide which I really want, any suggestions? I am hoping for positive counsel with this especially from you who have been bored by my lack of info lately.... Please send help....

9 comments:

Crazy Herb Girl said...

I am so sorry that all this is happening! I KNOW how you feel! My recommendation would be to get a gas stove with the knobs on top. We don't like gas, but I remember the big wind storm in 2007 in Seattle and being without power. The people with gas stoves and fireplaces could still cook and be relatively warm...I was jealous. Maybe power outages aren't a big deal down there...just my two cents ;-)

Freth Stifter said...

power outages typically occur during VERY cold times ... just when you need warmth most ... but it doesn't affect your gas supply ... Recommend Gas ... unless you have a gas camping stove that you prefer to cook on during those times (and a big tank of propane).

Sherri said...

We had a smooth top stove at the apartment we lived in in Utah. Sure, it was nice and easy to clean, but as far as cooking goes...not the greatest. It wasn't canner friendly either and I like to can things occasionally. When we moved to rent a house in Provo, it had a gas stove and I loved it. I hope to someday have another gas stove as they are wonderful to cook on. Better results!

Abigail said...

Electric are most popular in Utah, but I'm a gas girl myself. Our apartment oven has the nobs on top and I LOVE it. I don't have to worry at all about Mandorallyn fiddling with them. I really love that.

FoxFamily said...

certainly not bored! I am so sorry you are having all this happen! Why couldn't it happen before you moved in?? What a frustrating time for you. I have no advice on stoves. I don't like the coil kind. I prefer fire, but that's just me.

sleepless said...

I hate,hate,hated the electric stove we had in Idaho years ago..I could never get anything to cook correctly ...because I had always had gas...I got a nice gas one at a yard sale a couple of years ago as the lady was moving to Australia.

Sandy Plummer said...

If you plan to can...you must go with the Gas. The flat tops tell you, you can't can on them. We currently have a flat top and I wish we had gone with gas!!! Ya live and learn! Sorry for all the water! That's just not fun!

wilkinson family said...

after reading all the comments, there goes my idea for trying to can anything, because i have a flat top. i love just being able to wipe stuff off and nothing drips down and i don't have to scrub. however, i do agree that it is easier to control the to temp of the stove faster and easier and you can still cook in case of power outage. we had a freak icestorm a couple years ago and learned to cook on our gas grill outside, but found that we were thankful to have a gas water heater because nobody got power back for about a week. and while it will ad another bill for me, i'm hoping my water heater goes out at an opportune time so i can replace it with a gas one.

Kira =] said...

we love gas, but since ALL lines are underground in our neighborhood, gas isn't available where we live. (too expensive to run any new lines). As for knobs on the front or what not, just pull them off. We set ours in a cabinet or at the back of the counter and just put them on when cooking. =]

also pay the $5.95 for a month subscription to ConsumerReports.org and check out the recommended brands & models of stoves.