Sister Pile Up!
Saturday, January 29, 2011
considerations
I have been considering the difference in snow fall between Virginia and Utah. We looked at the weather and snow fall amount before we moved. We really didn't see that much of a difference in the total amount. That stated, my kids had a hard time understanding why they have no snow days at school here. As I pondered it I thought of an example. Say you have a 4 cup liquid measure. Now both places will get snow to fill this measure. The difference I have decided is often in the delivery. Utah's snow would be similar to putting the measure in the sink and pouring on a very low trickle of water - fairly consistently over an extended period of time the measure will fill up and the water would go off. Virginia and other eastern areas, ICE aside, would have the measure in the sink, and would pour the water from a big bucket into the measure all at once, stopping quickly when the measure was over flowing. My children think it should really dump snow all at once here, but in steady we get slow continuous powder falls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
interesting observation !
Post a Comment