Ponderings.. Yesterday was one of those deep thinking days. I found myself talking to my third daughter about shortening and the purpose it supplies in cooking. As I was talking to her I thought wait, haven't I explained this before? Yep, just it happened to be to her older siblings. That is one of the challenges of having an family. You get to explain things over and over again! So if I sound repetitious, it is because I am not sure if I have mentioned it to you yet.
I pondered Iron Man 2. It is a movie. My man likes the movie and wanted me to sit down and watch it. I don't care for really intense movies, with a ton of gore and battles, oh and the ego of the "Tony Stark" character is revolting in Iron Man 1. He just thinks everything is about HIM. Sorry but one of the things I have discovered in this life is that you really need to get past the "all about me Phase" and move on to the service and function in Society mode.
So Yesterday evening I was too worn out to object. He put it on at dinnertime, and invited me to sit by him so I could see it. In the beginning, the Stark character was so frustrating, but low and behold, he caught on to his mortality in a positive way. I was relieved. I actually enjoyed the plot and the movie.
Another pondering was repair verse replace... My brother has taught me that with repairs you need to make sure all the components are replaced together to save you problems later. a faucet - needs new supply lines. It is the same with sewing. When you put new fabric on really old fabric, you have an integrity problem and the old fabric tends to fall apart faster and you have a lot to replace.
I was digging in the front yard yesterday morning when the brad that holds the shovel onto the handle busted off. I functioned with the shovel anyway because I didn't want to stop and take the time to go to the store. I dug out the plant I was moving, and then put a new screw into the old brad hole. I thought I would be fine, what I didn't take into consideration was the overall integrity of the shovel. The brad was a symptom. Later that day I was digging in very rocky soil trying to remove an old tree root. As I landed on my bottom and rubbed my shin, I realized that I may have fixed the brad issue, but now I had a split handle... Well, there was Duct Tape in the garage! I duct taped the shovel together so I could keep working, but it was definitely weakened. I could see the handle pieces pulling apart as I continued to use the shovel. I prefer to give new live to old furniture, but in this case I realized that the shovel was worn out, not just the brad, it was ALL done. Time for a new shovel.
Thanks for listening...
4 comments:
loved getting to peek inside your head! =]
Love you Aunt Hannah, enjoy your shovel shopping, and I'm impressed you watched Iron Man and Iron Man 2. I make Jordan watch them alone.
Oh the Wisdom you are sharing !! Impressive ! Thanks.
Does the metal part of the shovel look worn out? It is usually just the wood rotted due to moisture. and time. I just replace the handle ... and it is like new again for several more years.
Waste not, want not ... didn't your mother tell you about the Big Depression? :)
Post a Comment