Sister Pile Up!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

small town

We live in a small town area. It is strange. I've run into my cousins a couple of times at stores but not as much as you would think.

Last night was the Senior Award Banquet. Bruce was amazed that after one year at this High School he knew almost everyone there. We had two families sit by us that I knew, saw three more behind us, and two more on the opposite tables. One of Spencer's friends sang the Opening song. What a voice for a Sophmore! Go Autumn! Bruce ended up getting the AOIT (Computer) scholarship - $500.00 will really help him pay for College. He was also awarded 3 cords to wear at Graduation. One was for AOIT, one was for having more than 2 "honors" in different subject areas, and one for having a cumulative GPA of 3.75-4.0 for his High School career. He was pleased to stand up there with his friends. I enjoyed the Cordon Blu they served and the fact I didn't have to make dinner last night. Someone from church, who also had raised a large family, was impressed the whole family came, sat front and center, and behaved themselves so well. My man's comment was - Well, it is expected.

Later that evening I took Bruce, Rachael, and Myra, out to the Drive In Theatre. Myra said it was her life long dream to go to a Drive In! (We can help occasionally with a 12 yr. olds Bucket list.) Percy Jackson - The Lightening thief was showing. We parked the car Horizontal so the four of us could look out our own windows and have our own row of seats. We saw one of Bruce's teachers, her came over and talked with us. We talked to the people who were serving the snacks and the kids all knew them. Then later my new chiropractor was walking by staring at the van parked the wrong way. Our High council speaker from last sunday came up and told me I wasn't allowed to park that way any more, he would allow it that night only because it was raining and he didn't expect a full crowd. It is interesting to be in a small town...

2 comments:

Freth Stifter said...

Dear Older Person (40's),

I hope you are enjoying your small town experience. It is a unique opportunity to know those around you. Both the good and the bad points. Are you well acquainted with your city council? The school staff? The parents of all those whom your children play with?

While milking cows in the morning, your grandfather would tell your father, the family history of any girl that he ever dated ... just small town stuff. :)

sleepless said...

I love having smart kids !!!