Sister Pile Up!
Monday, April 27, 2009
Wisdom is gained through age and experience..
I am not there yet, but I have learned a much greater appreciation for my Mother... When I was a child she asked me to practice the piano everyday twice! (I always assumed that this was only painful to me, never to her) I wondered how she knew when I wasn't playing a piece right..(Forgetting the fact I was her sixth child that had taken lessons..) I never realized how painful it can be for those around when someone is learning an new piece of music... She never complained... She never threatened to kill me if I hit that note wrong again, she never mentioned wishing to run away just because they were playing THAT piece again... She never purposely hid my music (although I have tried....) My mother was amazingly patient with her desire to help her children learn to play musical instruments. I have had horrible thoughts as a mother at times over my own children's pieces and I try really hard to sound calm as I say "maybe you need to sharp or flat that note... And most recently, I am pretty sure that note was not suppose to sound like that, please don't slide it that way..." Any one else ever had that problem? Or am I just the only crazy one out there... Yep I knew it. I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh, I'm sure you're not crazy. :-) It's that whole learning process. I'm only at the stage where my kid is independent and it would be SO MUCH FASTER if I did it myself. I imagine I'll want to strangle myself if I listen to the boys practice music. But, in the end, it's all totally worth it.
As a mom of a piccolo player, there have been more trying moments than I ever want to admit. The clarinet player has never really gotten on my nerves. But if I hear one more rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody on my piano I may take an ax to it. I swear she's played it so much the pages don't stay in the book anymore. In other words, I feel your pain. :) Jen
Unlike my parents ... I did NOT have children practicing the piano at 0500 dark in the morning. Some of my children did take up music later in life ... but not while living in my house. I suspect that my next youngest brother didn't have any music practices going on in his home either ... it may or may not have had anything to do with his amazing ability to play just one hymn ... with difficulty. Having greater musical abilities ... I can play 3 hymns ... provided I don't look too closely at the music ... and provided that everyone keeps singing ... regardless of the accompaniment.
I raise one torn-off left thumb and 2 old falling-apart music books. :0)
Well, I didn't push the music...when they chose not to continue I did not fight too hard because I was NOT fond of practicing EVER..me or them !!!! Good Luck with all that !!!
Post a Comment