I have Ideas of the way things are to be... I have issues with the actuality of life. Things that turn out better than I planned are okay. It is just those things that don't cooperate with my ideas that I have a problem with.
When I was a teenager I thought I would get to decorate and organize "My house" my way and it would stay MY way... That idea doesn't work in case you were wondering. It didn't even work when I was first married. I like wallpaper, and borders. My children do not. They are extremely effective wallpaper strippers and peelers.. I really thought my powder room bathroom was pretty. One year later, You can see the spots where my children have torn strips from the borders or the paper itself... It doesn't look so pretty anymore, not to mention that everyone seems to think that is the place to brush their hair and teeth. They also can't quite figure out how to put the a fore mentioned brushes away.
Anyone who knows me realizes that I like to organize things. I like to put things away in order where they belong. My family finds this inconvenient. Especially my toddler. Holly things things should be all mashed together. Definitely not separated in neat lines. How can you tell if you have chili on the shelf if she moves them all together ? I found re fried beans in the can in the fridge... Why? I don't know she thought it belonged there... She also decided that my car keys are excellent realistic toys! She has hit that stage where all cushions must be removed from their couches, and chairs. I may save to staple them down. Also my can openers walk all over the kitchen in a group...
On the positive side:
A year after we put a contract on the house we live in:
I am finally getting to know people in my ward a little bit.
I am getting involved in the schools here and am known on sight by the high school counselor and attendance officer.
I am getting to know which stores to shop in and which are not worth the effort.
My kids have made many good friends and have a far greater social life than ever before.
My oldest kids are able to get to school on their own! Whether walking, riding, or driving.
My son finally has been signed up for all the classes he needs to graduate from High school here in Utah.
We have learned that buying a pool pass here isn't worth the money - it just doesn't get hot enough here.
We have found that bowling is a good family activity here. No smoking or drinking, it is almost like being on post!
My children could now make a t shirt with almost as many friends on it as they had listed from their Virginia crowd.
I am getting better at going to the grocery store only once or twice a week - since it is aleast 15 minutes away.
I am amazed that I have been a Sunday school teacher for almost every week since January. I still have a hard time with the child who has Aspergers but I continue to persevere.
I have lived here long enough to not bother cleaning all the time.
I have gotten much better about not purchasing clothes for my kids.. As there aren't as many stores nearby.
My daughter has learned how to talk to boys without being afraid of them.
My oldest three children have learned how to ballroom dance.
My younger daughters have friends who actually come over to play at our house. We have become the "koolaid" house.
I have met two new families that have more children than me and they aren't even military.
I have learned an appreciation for water softeners.
My kids have learned that I was right, looking for good people is more challenging than just looking to fellow church members. They need to stand up for what is right at all costs.
I am getting better at dealing with my man constantly having 12 hour work days. It is challenging making all of the kids appointments and schedules by myself. Good thing Bruce can drive.:)
I have become a little less cynical about people, and am trying to accept them, and hope they will eventually accept me the way I am.
A year later, I am still grateful that we have chosen to live in this community rather than the others we looked at.
I am more relaxed most of the time than I was when I first moved in.
I like having General Conference on the television rather than just the Internet.
My Children are getting more self sufficient.
My long distance friends are still there.
I am finally getting to the projects I wanted to when I moved in.
So I guess life is okay. I hope you are okay too.. What are the positives you see in your life?
3 comments:
I'm under-employed and semi-retired?!
Does that count?
My wife thinks I spend too much time in the workshop -- where there is cable TV, internet connection, and lots of metal to weld, grind, and play with.
I'm the "Hall Monitor" at church.
I'm learning a lot about VA claims and helping veterans.
I'm substitute driving for a lady whose husband is on the city council.
I have children who visit occasionally.
Because it rains enough, I generally don't have to water my garden.
They are building a Dollar General store right down the street ...
Free access to a swimming pool all summer long.
so...this is a cool list !! very impressive !! I can't even remember things long enough to make a list !! I heard a couple of quotes the other day I like..
"give up perfect " and something like
"we must be willing to give up the life we planned in order to live the life waiting for us "
A worthy list! I'm impressed with your positive attitude. We do have much to be grateful for, don't we? My family is amazing.
I learn new things ever day.
My baby is happy and healthy.
We are surrounded by natural beauty.
Oh, I could go on but...your list is better. Good job!
Post a Comment