Sister Pile Up!

Friday, April 23, 2010

A three year olds frustrations

Holly is having a hard time balancing the things she wants and the things her mother wants. Yesterday was especially challenging for her. We went visiting teaching in the morning to a new house. She thought the baby was nice and the cats were nice but sharing HER toy not so much.She hid it and then tried to barricade the toys she was playing with away from the baby.. Her mom didn't let that work.
Later we were at home and M.O.M. said it was time for a nap. Holly didn't agree, so she wasn't coming. Her mom picked her up and helped her walk up the stairs to the bathroom. Holly was voicing her protest all the way. then when we got to the bathroom she stopped and we talked about her diaper. While she was sitting on the potty, she told me again she didn't want to take a nap and I said that was fine. Then she looked at me and with all her efforts she screamed No!, I had to turn away so as not to laugh in her face. Then I explained that I knew she was frustrated with the situation but that I still felt she needed a nap. She screamed NO! one more time.. I diverted her attention to something else and she totally calmed down. We cleaned her up and went into her room, put on a new diaper and found a pacifier. She calmly hoped into bed and went to sleep.

Later that afternoon after her nap and a trip to the park with her sisters, I came home from an errand to the copy shop. I was talking with my neighbor, and the girls all came out to visit too. When It was time to go in the house Holly didn't want too. Lilly was stretching the boundaries and she wanted to as well. So I took her hand and pulled her to the door with me. With all the effort she could muster she yelled "NO THANK YOU!" Bruce told her we appreciated her being so polite, and mom latched the top of the door as well as the bolt...

It is so hard being three!

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Yes, three is hard. Everyone said two would be, but three I think is the hardest and longest for both child and mother!

sleepless said...

Love the defiance..she reminds me of her mother..even NOW !!!!!